Adalaisa Soy is an Art Director from Barcelona, Spain.
You can find her here:
- Hi Adalaisa, tell me who you are and what do you do as a freelancer?
Hi! My name is Adalaisa Soy, I live in Barcelona, I’m Art Director and currently I work as a freelance.
- How long have you been working as a freelancer now?
Since I finished my studies I have always done some freelance work but since a little more than a year, I left my work as an Art Director in a Barcelona Agency and now I work as a freelance legally.
- Why did you decide to become a freelancer? Did you think about it for a long time or did your decision come suddenly?
I thought about it for a long time. I worked a lot and in many places, in bad conditions and extensive hours but I was learning things and the environment helped me to grow. Over time, the stress was increasing and didn’t learn anything, only solved problems. I decided that if I didn’t want to get depressed, I needed a change and although in Spain it is difficult to be freelance, I decided to leave the work in agency.
- What is your competitive advantage, which makes your clients hire you?
I think many things are done but I am not a crack at any specifically. I don’t know if it is good or if it is bad. I suppose that for some things it is good and for others it isn’t. I have done all kinds of work, but what I have done more are advertising campaigns. I also like typography, packaging, digital retouching, photography, illustration, motion…
- Who are your competitors? What do they have that you don’t?
I think that some clients who see my website they aren’t clear what do I do. I guess specialized people are easier to find if you are looking for something specific.
- Are there a lot of freelancers in your business?
At the moment it’s just me and I work from home. If the thing works, I would like to have a small farm, but for now it is impossible.
- What do your clients expect from you?
I guess like all customers, be happy with the result. A job, easy, fast, profitable and professional.
- Who are your typical clients?
Most are agencies that have a lot of work and need outside help because they have many projects.
- How has your business changed over time?
I have been a freelance for a very short time. What I do see is that if I work well, the client returns.
- How did you gain your first customers?
Most of the freelancers I’ve got are thanks to people I’ve worked with and they liked my work.
- John Wanamaker said: Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I do not know which half. Do you gain your clients by advertising or in another way?
Those who I win without help, are thanks to social networks of graphic designers.
- The best marketing move, you’ve done?
I haven’t spent much time marketing.
- The biggest marketing challenge that you deal with?
I guess mine.
- Do you hire outsourcing service providers for services, which you believe are a waste of your time?
I think there are steps you can skip, but there are also very good and necessary providers.
- How does your typical working day look like? What do you do when you are not working? How many hours/days per week are you working?
My work isn’t very routine. I can work 4 days in a row, 12 hours a day or not working in 4 days. It is very unstable. But it allows me to enjoy things that I couldn’t before.
- Which books would you recommend to freelancers?
Whatever it makes you laugh and disconnect from everything.
- What is your current inspiration that drives you in the business?
My inspiration is your own motivation, to fight for what you love.
- What would you do differently if you would start again?
I would have saved more money and I would have done it before.
- What would you advise someone who has an idea, but no money?
Look for people who like that idea and have money.
- What was the best business advice you received?
- Do you have an online resource which you use regularly? Which one?
Stock photos, vectors, templates…
- What do you often dream about when you’re not working?
Many things, with singing, dancing, drawing, traveling…
- The place where you find your peace?
On the beach, I live very close and whenever I have a bad moment I try to go to disconnect.
- Top 3 mobile apps on your smartphone?
- What do you do in your free time?
I have an old Vespa and I like to travel with my scooter. I also like to draw, dance, go to the gym, sing and listen to music, there are few things I don’t like to do.
- Your last vacation?
I think more about the next ones. In August I’m going to go to Africa for two weeks and I’m very excited.
- Business plans for the future?
I would like to dedicate more to advertising spots and create typographic projects.
- Your plans for the future?
My plans, will get to live with a freelancer and enjoy life to the fullest.