Dona Bergés is an Image Consultant and Yoga Teacher from Barcelona, Spain.
- Hi Dona, tell me who you are and what do you do as a freelancer?
I’m a freelance since 20 years ago. I’ve been a 100% a professional model and tv comercial acting until a little ago. Now I convine with my Image Consultant and doing some image production for some magazines and yoga teaching one on one. Original from Barcelona, living between New York and Cape Town.
- Why did you decide to become a freelancer? Did you think about it for a long time or did your decision come suddenly?
For me was very important to decide by myself what I wanted to do in my life. I wanted to travel and having nobody what to tell me to do. So I took the good part of a freelancer, let’s put it that way. But I knew that you have to be very discipline and work for what you want to accomplish. So I did it. People is very afraid to be a freelance because they don’t have anything secure is all about your entrepreneurial decisions and abilities and is not easy.
- What is your competitive advantage, which makes your clients hire you?
I have skills of fashion for all my years working in that field. I can help corporative people to increase or rise up their status in a competitive way and make them feel good after the experience. The concept of my freelance business is to know yourself a bit more to know what is going to be good to wear on you. So is more personal and more awareness on what you are and where do you want to go in life and goals. It’s all about to reach the beauty inside of yourself to put it outside. Sometimes I try to calm them and I do a session of mindfulness or a session of access consciousness to facilitate to know who they are to work better on their style to achieve their goals.
- Are there a lot of freelancers in your business?
There is not many freelancers in my business that convine meditation and style and beauty advice I do also Handmade Creams for the people.
- What do your clients expect from you?
They expect to feel good with yoga classes or Image consultant and knowing themselves better to gain more confidence and achieve their goals at the end of the day.
- Who are your typical clients?
The clients that I have are very diverse; people who wants to have some peace. People that they need help on clothing and knowing that they are doing the right thing. People that need a change on their life.
- How did you gain your first customers?
Through recommendation of the people who knows me. And Social Media.
- The best marketing move, you’ve done?
Social media and be honest of what you do and yourself there is no secret. My degree is PPRR and Marketing and if you do some tricky marketing at the end is finish is not believable anymore. And if you are trying to sell something is not real or authentic that I consider against any philosophy of good marketing so is better little by little and make sure that everything is in order.
- The biggest marketing challenge that you deal with?
Well, Fashion as well as marketing trends change very quickly so you need to be up date always. This is the price you pay to be a good Image consultant even if its not much about fashion in my point of view people needs to be updated so I need to be up date all the time and see new ways of seeing the world to advice to my clients.
- How does your typical working day look like? What do you do when you are not working? How many hours/days per week are you working?
Because I’m a freelance I can chose the clients and the flexibility of time. So depends of the day or the week or the month. When I don’t work I read and look for new creative shapes of life I’m a fun of art and photography so I spend time with it too and travel so is a good combo.
- Which books would you recommend to freelancers?
- Steve Jobs Biography
- The 4-hour Workweek – Tim Ferriss
- Getting Things done – David Allen
And any book that develop your awareness in life religious, philosophical …etc
- What is your current inspiration that drives you in the business?
For me where the music-painters -photographers and designers in a high level of creation.
- What would you do differently if you would start again?
I think everyone has their own path to learn what they are now so I may not change it.
- What would you advise someone who has an idea, but no money?
Is the best tool to create something so start like this Steve Jobs was like this and look what he became.
- What was the best business advice you received?
Learn from the others don’t copy and find yourself interest yourself propose on life everyone is individual.
- Do you have an online resource which you use regularly? Which one?
Vogue and Business of Fashion mainly.
- The place where you find your peace?
In the yoga mat or walking on the sea.
- Top 3 mobile apps on your smartphone?
Instagram, linkedin and lightroom 🙂
- Your last vacation?
For me life is a Vacation and I’m trying to be like this always enjoying the time doing what you like. I live between Cape Town and New York for now but we may change for a bit as well. We like to travel and learn different cultures and lifestyle.
- Business plans for the future?
Develop my handmade Creams they are all natural and good for the body and spirit.
Dona’s photos and references: