Giulia Vincenti is a photographer from Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Spain – an artist with an excellent taste for decent photos.
- Hi Giulia, tell me who you are and what do you do as a freelancer?
I’m an italian agronomist and I recently converted my hobby in my job, too. At the moment I photograph for microstock sites.
- How long have you been working as a freelancer now?
Less than two years.
- Why did you decide to become a freelancer? Did you think about it for a long time or did your decision come suddenly?
Like freelancer I can work when and where I want. I I decided this in a little time.
- What is your competitive advantage, which makes your clients hire you?
Customers don’t hire me directly, they buy my photos without even knowing who I am
- Who are your competitors? What do they have that you don’t?
My competitions are all photographers with more experience and more time to dedicate to the photography, for me it’s only the second job.
- Are there a lot of freelancers in your business?
Yes!!! A lot.
- What do your clients expect from you?
High quality, aesthetic sense and impeccable technique.
- Who are your typical clients?
I don’t know, I have no contacts with them.
- John Wanamaker said: Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I do not know which half. Do you gain your clients by advertising or in another way?
Hahahahah!!! Great! No, fortunately my clients find me (or rather my photos) because I do not like to advertise me or my work.
- The best marketing move, you’ve done?
Learning to take decent photos.
- Do you hire outsourcing service providers for services, which you believe are a waste of your time?
No, I don’t.
- How does your typical working day look like? What do you do when you are not working? How many hours/days per week are you working?
I work many, many hours per week, I shoot on my day off.
- What is your current inspiration that drives you in the business?
All: people, nature, landscape, but especially food.
- What would you do differently if you would start again?
I would start many years before.
- What would you advise someone who has an idea, but no money?
I would tell him/her that the idea is more important than money: she/he can start with a minimal equipment and then improve it with the first gains. But you can not buy the ideas.
- What was the best business advice you received?
I have not received much advice, only a couple of photographers have been so kind to give me some hints at the beginning.
- Do you have an online resource which you use regularly? Which one?
First: Photoshop, then articles, blogs, photography sites, etc.
- What do you often dream about when you’re not working?
All day, when I work, too.
- The place where you find your peace?
- Top 3 mobile app on your smartphone?
Whatsapp, maps and notes.
- What do you do in your free time?
- Your last vacation?
Many years ago, here, where I’m living now.
- Business plans for the future?
More photos, more practice, more trips.
- Your plans for the future?
More trips, more practice, more photos.
Giulias’s work and references: