Petr Had is an Illustrator and Designer from Czech republic.
You can find him here:
Sketch book: http://petrsketch.tumblr.com/
Deviant art: http://skorky.deviantart.com/
- Hi Petr, tell me who you are and what do you do as a freelancer?
Hi, my name is Petr and i am freelance illustrator/designer for Czech republic. I am specializing at lines illustrations, just draw stories. But i started with flash animations, websites, mobile applications, logos, print design etc… I tried many graphic disciplines, but illustrations perfect fit to me. You need to be creative all the time, so this is perfect 🙂
- How long have you been working as a freelancer now?
Its almost ten years.
- Why did you decide to become a freelancer? Did you think about it for a long time or did your decision come suddenly?
I like philosophy to be freelance. Do my own decision what project i ll be working and freedom. And i am introvert, so its the only way to be freelance.
- What is your competitive advantage, which makes your clients hire you?
I guess my specific style of illustrations and i always add some funny things. Professional approach
- Who are your competitors? What do they have that you don’t?
Lines and icons illustrators form around the world.
- Are there a lot of freelancers in your business?
Yes, You can see many great illustrators from around the world.
- What do your clients expect from you?
Clever metaphors, easy to understand for everybody and build original branding. Professional approach.
- Who are your typical clients?
- How did you gain your first customers?
I started share my own projects on the internet, to show possibilities of my style to potential clients.
- John Wanamaker said: Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I do not know which half. Do you gain your clients by advertising or in another way?
I just share my work on specific websites. For example Dribbble, Behance, Deviant art.
- The best marketing move, you’ve done?
I don’t know if this is marketing, but i share something almost everyday. Pencil sketches, final piece of illustrations, ideas.
- Do you hire outsourcing service providers for services, which you believe are a waste of your time?
No, i am working alone.
- How many hours/days per week are you working? How does your typical working day look like? What do you do when you are not working?
It depends, how many project i have and on ideas. Sometimes i work 10+ hours a day, sometimes only one. To be creative all the time you need to be fresh with clear head. Its ten years and i am still finding best balance between work and free time.
Wake up at 10 am , it takes me one hour to wake up ( tea, listen music, checking mails etc.. )
When i am working on project i start with pencil sketches and than i send to client and waiting for feedback. In the meantime i take bicycle and go out, sometimes i work outside on sketches. And when i am back i have usually feedback and start working on vectors on final illustration. So, i work more at the night. Between drawing i need some small breaks, just cooking, reading etc..
And when i have free time i spending this time with my kids, riding on bicycle to the woods, playing on bass guitar in rock band, reading books, working on my own projects, learning and spend time with friends, of course drawing and writing fairytales.
- Which books would you recommend to freelancers?
Steal, like an artist. Show your work!
- What is your current inspiration that drives you in the business?
Do what i love, drawing.
- What would you do differently if you would start again?
Focus on specific field in design, earlier.
- What was the best business advice you received?
Focus on specific field and do the best as you can.
- Do you have an online resource which you use regularly? Which one?
I don’t have online resource, i drawing everything from zero.
- What do you often dream about when you’re not working?
About better world.
- The place where you find your peace?
At my home, in the woods, mountains.
- Top 3 mobile apps on your smartphone?
I don’t have a smartphone.
- Your last vacation?
It was national nature park in Czech republic called “Adršpach” this place is full of rock mazes, really nice place 🙂
- Your plans for the future?
Be better at drawing. Do my own projects, finish my children books, sell posters. Maybe some apparel. Draw best quality illustrations. Enjoy life.
Petr’s work and references: