Viktorija Rampenthal is an graphic designer from Lithuania, currently based in Lower Saxony in Germany.
You can find her here:
- Hi Viktorija, tell me who you are and what do you do as a freelancer?
I am a Lithuanian Graphic Designer, currently living in Lower Saxony in Germany. I am working in various areas of Graphic Design: from Digital, to Print, Illustrations, UI/UX Design. I am keen to try myself in different design fields. As a Graphic Designer, you should always deal with proportions, colors, typography, composition… and it doesn’t matter whether it is a website or invitation card.
- How long have you been working as a freelancer now?
Since April 2017.
- Why did you decide to become a freelancer? Did you think about it for a long time or did your decision come suddenly?
After 10 years of experience with Advertising agencies, I was ready to try myself as a freelancer.
- What is your competitive advantage, which makes your clients hire you?
I love my clients and I always do my best to make them happy and satisfied with my design works.
- Who are your competitors? What do they have that you don’t?
My competitors are mostly Hannover based freelancers, who have longer freelancing experience than I do. So they already have connections – that’s very important in Germany.
- Are there a lot of freelancers in your business?
In some fields of design (for example, web design) there are too few freelancers, whereas, in print – too many.
- What do your clients expect from you?
Quality, creative ideas, personality and to meet the deadlines.
- Who are your typical clients?
Start-ups, advertising agencies.
- How has your business changed over time?
Social media has become an integral part of my life. It is a part of marketing for me.
- How did you gain your first customers?
At Start-up event. It is a good place to find new clients, because there you can meet many people who are starting or planning to start their businesses, but they are not sure about their logos, websites etc. I just need to be at the right place at the right time.
- John Wanamaker said: Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I do not know which half. Do you gain your clients by advertising or in another way?
The best marketing – word-of-mouth recommendations. I didn’t need to spend any money on marketing yet but I was thinking about Google Adwords. It is cheap and should work pretty well.
- The best marketing move, you’ve done?
To invest time in Social Media Marketing and to work, work and work hard.
- Do you hire outsourcing service providers for services, which you believe are a waste of your time?
- How does your typical working day look like? What do you do when you are not working? How many hours/days per week are you working?
After taking my children to the kindergarden and school, I go for a walk with my royal poodle. Then I start my work which is usually 7 to 8 hours per day. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
- Which books would you recommend to freelancers?
#AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur’s Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness
- What is your current inspiration that drives you in the business?
Three American Youtube stars: Gery Vaynerchuk (business), Casey Neistat (lifestyle), Sarah Nourse (minimal lifestyle and business). They are very creative and inspiring in different ways.
- What would you do differently if you would start again?
- What would you advise someone who has an idea, but no money?
First of all, tell your idea to many different people and be sure that the idea is good. If it is good, find investors and get money from them.
- What was the best business advice you received?
Work hard, be patient and stay curious about new things (for example, new technologies).
- Do you have an online resource which you use regularly? Which one?
- What do you often dream about when you’re not working?
I love to challenge myself, I love that feeling when I can say: I MADE IT.
Also travelling. It is one of the biggest inspirations for me.
- The place where you find your peace?
By the Baltic Sea in Lithuania or Latvia, where I can feel at home and relax, and to sleep hearing waves crashing.
- Top 3 mobile apps on your smartphone?
Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook.
- What do you do in your free time?
Meeting friends, inline skating, riding a bike.
- Your last vacation?
By the Baltic Sea last summer.
- Business plans for the future?
To continue “growing” as a graphic designer and as a personality. To have regular clientele.
- Your plans for the future?
To live in a more minimalistic way and to be focused on things that matter.
Viktorija’s work and references: